14 Celebrity Tips from Hollywood Hairstylist George Papanikolas
1. When it Comes to Highlights, Less is More. All of those tiny, spaghetti-like weave highlights? SO 2004! Now it’s all about balayage—strategically placed, hand-painted highlights that imitate a month at the beach. They’re natural-looking and the upkeep is minimal, which means more money for things like, say, a month at the beach!
2. Ditch Your Layers. Give long, heavy layers a rest and opt for today’s most modern shape—a blunt bob with subtle layering for shape and movement. It’s the perfect way to restart your hair by doing away with frayed, dried ends. Once you’ve cropped your locks, be sure to maintain that newfound glossy goodness with regular hair strengthening treatments like Biolage Advanced fiberstrong.
3. Blow With a Pro. Think professional blow-outs are only for the rich and famous? Think again. Blow-out bars are popping up like mushrooms after a spring rain, and now professional styles are accessible and affordable from Hollywood, CA to Hollywood, FL and everywhere in between. Treat yourself and you’ll look like a star every day of the week!
4. Do What Comes Naturally. Blow drying and flat ironing definitely give your hair polish, but constant exposure to heat can lead to damage. That’s why, if they’re not on set or on the red carpet, most celebrities go natural and give their strands a break. Follow their lead and embrace your natural texture a few days each week. Ask your stylist which styling formula is the best for managing your hair texture when you just want to wash and go.
5. Beat the Heat. When you do use thermal stylers, do what celebrities do to shield their hair. Apply a specially-formulated heat-protective product like Total Results Heat Resist--that protects up to 450 degrees—to prevent hair from blistering and dehydrating.
6. Cool Down. Before you step out of the shower, quickly rinse your hair with cool water. Doing so causes the cuticle to snap shut, which means hair reflects more light and imparts major red carpet shine. Amp up the dazzling effect with a few drops of a professional oil treatment like Biolage ExquisiteOil Protective Treatment.
7. Do the Twist. Many celebs favor loose, casual Boho waves and here’s the secret to making them look truly natural and effortless: apply a frizz-fighting leave-in conditioner like Moisture Cure 2-Phase Treatment to damp hair, wait until it’s nearly dry and then wrap it in two loose buns or two low braids. Go to bed, wake up, unfurl and hello! Cute, hippie-chic waves!
9. Find Your Muse. Has anyone ever told you that you remind them of Reese or Rihanna or Gisele? Most people identify with a specific celebrity—either by virtue of physical resemblance, hair type or overall “vibe.” Find your celebrity muse and use her to glean inspiration for your next cut and color change.
10. Pick The Right Products and Stick To Them. Nowadays, there is a shampoo and conditioner formulated for every hair type, so it’s easy to pick the best pair for your hair. Fine, color treated, dry or curly? Modern chemistry means that there’s the right match—just ask your stylist!
11. Travel Wisely. Celebrities are always on the go—on location, on press tours, on holiday. Shifting between extreme climates—very warm to very cold—can take a toll on strands, leaving it dry and depleted. That’s why stars always travel with a rich, deep-penetrating conditioner and use it once a week or more. Another tip? Add a few drops of treatment oil like Biolage ExquisiteOil to your conditioner for an even more powerful shot of hydration!
12. Go On a Hair Diet. You truly are what you eat, and things like too much caffeine and sugary sodas can actually prevent your hair from growing longer and stronger. And if you smoke? Just stop, ok?
13. Say Hi to Dry Shampoo. This is one of Hollywood’s best-kept secrets. Design Pulse Clean Remix Instant Dry Shampoo is not only an effective way to keep your scalp fresh between shampoos, it doubles as a great texturizer and root booster. Use dry shampoo to keep your updo in place and add volume and “oomph” to your style.
14. Don’t Go To Your Color Appointment With Dirty Hair. It’s a myth that haircolor “takes” better when your hair is dirty. Not so. Plus, it’s actually easier for your colorist to select the best hue for you when your hair is clean, because it’s easier to see your natural color. Product build-up and oils can actually make your hair appear much darker than it really is!
To find a Matrix hair salon that offers these products near you, visit our Salon & Product Finder.
Want more hair tips? Chat with us on our social channels!
24 Fabulous Blonde Hair Color Shades & How To Go Blonde
The 23 Best Brunette Hair Color Shades
9 Ways to Repair, Treat & Fix Damaged Hair
The 21 Most Popular Red Hair Color Shades
8 Summer Hair Tips For Keeping Your Cool & Protecting Your Hair
Hair Care Tips and Hairstyles For Fine Hair
Here’s How Your Post-Shelter Salon Experience Will Be Different
6 Ways To Support Your Stylist Right Now
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to hear about the latest trends in Hair Care, Hair Color, & Hair Styling